Friday, 17 December 2010

A New Inspiration: Diaghilev and the Golden Age of the Ballets Russes 1909 – 1929

First of all, get your little legs down to the V&A before 9th January, when this exhibition closes. 
Second, let me tell you why…
This exhibition is well worth a visit purely merited on it’s rich mix of historical cultural information and artefacts.  It brings together hundreds of exhibits to form a vivid picture of this Golden Age of the Ballets Russes. 

I must confess, before seeing this exhibition, I was not all together familiar with Diaghilev, having only a vague idea of his person and influence.  However, as soon as I entered the gallery and began to take in the stories and images, I was captivated.  The story of the life of this eccentric creative and his work with the Ballet Russes is fascinating and inspiring. 
What got me going most was the idea of working together with other artists, as Diaghilev did with dancers, composers, choreographers, artists and designers.  I love the fact that when artists work together the result is much, much more than the sum of the parts.  Something exciting happens when different creative minds and visions collide and collaborate. 

And that, in short, is why I’m so excited to be part of r.a.j.e. working with three other passionate, committed artists.  Watch this space…

A friend of mine has also just lent me this DVD which I am yet to watch, but I’m guessing is a good watch 


Some objects from the exhibition.

To find out about the exhibition visit the V&A’s website…http://www.vam.ac.uk/collections/theatre_performance/diaghilev-ballet-russes/

A x

No comments:

Post a Comment