Wednesday, 5 January 2011

A little girl crush.

I was lead to Jane Morris by my love, inherited from my parents, of William Morris. The first time I saw a portrait of her was in a touring exhibition in Bristol Art Gallery and I was immediately struck by her beauty. Hers was not a subtle; quiet beauty, she was not pretty. Her arresting beauty held me mesmerised for what felt like hours. As I went on to research her I found I wasn’t the only one moved by her. 


She was model and muse for William Morris, Dante Gabriel Rossetti and Edward Burne Jones. Morris fell in love with Jane and they got married and Rosetti became increasingly obsessed with her as she sat for him, leading to the end of their friendship. She later went on the have an affair with the political activist and poet Wilfrid Scawen Blunt. Now I by no means condone her infidelity but her beauty, so ingrained in my own brain and immortalised by some of the greatest painters in history is surely to be celebrated?


R x

No comments:

Post a Comment