Friday, 13 January 2012

Postmodernism: Style and Subversion

The Postmodernism exhibition at the V&A sadly closes this Sunday, apologies for not blogging earlier, I've no excuse for my tardiness. However, if you don't make it down to South Ken, do take a look at the V&A website and read up on the Postmodern movement.






This was my favourite piece (below) from the exhibition; Pacific Wave by April Greiman, 1989.  The vivid colours, the tension between natural and computerised forms is visually exciting.  The use of white space, and scale is bold, and makes a confident statement. This appeals to me.  I aim to be confident and bold in what I do, and this kind of art inspires me.





The website also takes you behind the scenes and shows you how the exhibition was put together.  Its fascinating to see the thoughts and processes behind the final show. 



Photos courtesy of the V&A website, thank you.

Visiting galleries and museums usually puts me a in a contemplative mood, but this one turned out to be quite an intense experience, where I really questioned my motives as a designer, my beliefs about everyday life, ...you get the picture.

Thinking about it over a baker's basket and latte with a friend, I put it down to this: Postmodernism is what I grew up with.  I cannot look at it like any other exhibition.  No matter how familiar and sense making any other artistic movement, school, what have you, has been to me; it is not me.  I visit the exhibitions, gaze at the art always to some extent removed, having never lived in the world the artist lived in.  Postmodernism is different.  This fractured, democratic, dystopian, bricolage world is my world.  

To see my world, my reality, in an exhibition was weird.  It's got me asking, What next?  If Postmodernism is over, and we are, by all accounts, post-postmodern, what's next?  What are my motives now? What is the feeling and what are the questions that we are collectively asking now? What is today's zeitgeist?  What is driving me?  What is driving us?

Answers on a postcard...

A x

2 comments:

  1. I would be interested to see what students in 500 years time are writing about post-postmodernism. Or perhaps they'll have come up with a better name for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I jolly well hope so! I've got mathmeticians telling me it's a double negative so we're back in Modernism! Oh dear. Ax

      Delete