Thursday, 6 December 2012

I Blame the Crackle // Ombre-ed hair

CONFESSION: I get completely seduced by pretty much all hair product* adverts. 

Yep, I am well aware that they are a) styled by professionals and b) photoshopped by professionals, but regardless, I will very happily spend half my salary on whatever shampoos/ conditioners/ mouses/ salt sprays/ thickening cremes/ finishing serums that promise to give me Cheryl Cole hair.

*also applies to mascaras + eyelash products


It doesn't help that I very rarely go to a hair salon, for numerous reasons:
  • I hate staring at myself under awful lighting for an hour.
  • I have never been able to figure out how to read a magazine + drink the tea/wine/sparking water without moving my head
  • there is no point answering the (usually mundane) questions you get asked because the person asking them a) doesn't care and b) will forget because he/she doesn't care
  • being of the non glamorous persuasion, feel totally out of my depth in amongst the made up fashionistas that usually reside in salons
  • I totally cannot figure why it is acceptable to charge between £50 - £100 FOR A HAIR CUT
  • I dislike the disapproving looks you get when you admit that you don't get your hair cut every 6 weeks 

and so as a consequence, I do a lot to my hair myself.

One particularly blue Saturday morning (which may have included watching a certain 'reality show' about a bunch of posh people) I saw an advert for L'Oreal's Wild Ombre home dip dye kit...

Insert a self affirming woman-picks-herself-up-from-being-horizontally-filled-with-doom,self pity&loathing-on-the-sofa-to-conquer-the-world montage here.

And a hour later I was in front of my bathroom mirror, wearing an old t shirt, hands clad in plastic gloves shaking the dye mix together pretending I was Tom Cruise in Cocktail.

The pack is pretty self explanatory but because my hair has been notoriously stubborn I decided to go a little rogue from the instructions:
  1. split my hair in to pigtails just below my ears**
  2. applied mix directly on to the ends of my hair (approximately the bottom 2 inches) to ensure this would be the lightest bit
  3. waited 5-10 mins
  4. by using a mixed technique of direct application and using the supplied comb added the dye to the next couple of inches 
  5. I then repeated step a 3 + 4 gradually using the comb more until I got to the highest point that I wanted the colour to start. 
  6. I added up the time as I went to make sure I stayed within the recommended time allowance... mine ended up being about 40 mins.
  7. Then wash out and all that malarky, making sure you condition the newly dyed bits really well (OBVIOUSLY)

**about halfway through I removed the hair bands to make sure it was even, but the pig tails were good to know how much of my hair I was actually dying.

And taa daa this is the result!



And I am really happy as I managed to avoid a block strip, and the colour is quite natural but not too gingery.

Plus, it makes me feel very cool.



J x


No comments:

Post a Comment