Saturday, 5 January 2013

I Blame the Crackle // Checkered

Its been a while since the last DIY I Blame the Crackle, so I figured it had to be a good one: Say hello to some Burberry Checked nails!

Yep, I admit that this design came to me during work, I reckon its a pretty good match to the Burberry check, but that doesn't mean that you have to stick to these colours, the principle is the same, the colourway can be anything you want!

What you'll need:
  • some sellotape (I find that the rubbish stuff works best!)
  • 3 nail varnish colours of your choice
This one is a layering game, which means you have to allow yourself a decent amount of time to do it in, maybe whilst watching Step Up?? Also, be aware that if someone walks in on you they are likely to look at you like you are a mental as you will have sellotape attached all over yourself!

It is made up of 3 layers: Base (Brown), Highlight (Beige) and Accent (Red)
  • Start off with highlight colour, I chose the brown (not only for check similarity) but because it only needed one coat.
  • Then, once that coat is totally 100% dry, take thin strips of sellotape, create a check stencil, remember the basic principles of stenciling, you are essentially working invertedly. (not entirely sure that is a word)
  • Then apply your base colour over the top of the sellotape, allow to dry slightly and carefully peel off the sellotape.
  • Repeat the process but with your accent colour, I tried to keep this layer really thin but that was mainly for check imitation purposes.
 I then Matt coated it, for extra effect.


Right then, so you can obviously apply this to a different colour scheme that has less connotations, maybe even mix it up with textures, so off you go, give it a try and tweet us your pictures! (@RAJEdesign)


J x

4 comments:

  1. Valuable information and excellent design you got here! I would like to thank you for sharing
    your thoughts and time into the stuff you post!! Thumbs up... ♥♥

    flights to Umrah
    cheap flight to jeddah
    flights to jeddah
    umrah jeddah flights
    umrah flights from London
    cheap flights to umrah

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm soooo impressed by this! Every single time I've attempted nail art I've failed miserably. Please come paint mine? ;)

    Tara
    The Style Rawr!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh! This is some serious nail art skill! They look really professional. I would have just presumed the sellotape would have peeled off the varnish, but now I know it doesn't... well there's a whole new world of nail art waiting for me.
    xxx
    PS Thanks for your lovely comment, I never thought of vasaline, I'm going to try that next time. Thanks. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for all these comments guys! Glad you like my I Blame the Crackle posts... many more in the making so watch this space!
    J x

    ReplyDelete