Wednesday, 16 January 2013

I don't get men's fashion

After reading J's post yesterday I feel like now is the time to come clean...

Now before you all get angry with me, I'm posting this mainly because I want to be proved wrong. I want my eyes to be opened to the wonders of men's fashion, I really do! It's probably best that I clarify now that my opinions are my own and definitely do not reflect those of A, J or E. 




Basically, I don't get men's fashion. For example, approaching the normal fashion week season I am fully prepared, notebook in hand, live streams ready, I know who's showing and when, I analyse the trends I dissect the designs in my head, I figure out how I think this will all trickle down to the high st and what will end up on the red carpet etc etc. You get the gist, I'm into it. But then men's fashion week happens, and while I know it's happening, I don't really care. 

I watch some of the shows, I look through the various blog posts of people's favourite looks and I love the designs, the aesthetics excite me and move me, my imagination engages and the visual stimulate my fashion muscles. But then, it's over, a blip and it's gone. I don't think about it, I don't try and understand it and I certainly don't care about it. 


Here is why (I think), I never see it manifested. I honestly do not know one boy who dresses fashionably, gay or straight. I know boys who dress well, who dress smartly, boys who pull of the punk look, boys who drip vintage and look fantastic. But I do not know, no do I think I've ever seen a man looking fashionable. Even on the Sartorialist and Facehunter etc where you see incredibly dressed men that make me ooh and ahh, you don't see men who have watched the catwalk shows, dissected the trends and then applied them to themselves. You see men doing what has always been done, but with a twist or some flair. 

Prove me wrong, please, I'm begging you.

R x 



No comments:

Post a Comment