Tuesday, 19 March 2013

The ABC of Skincare

Although I have been devoted to fashion for many years now, my relationship with skincare and beauty products was always a tad frosty.  I viewed most skincare products and theories as vastly hokum and preferred to spend my time and money on pretty things I could wear or great things to listen to.  I skimmed the beauty sections of magazine for many years, but I have recently been paying more attention to my skincare.  I can only accredit this new found interest in being a bit more grown up and my work mates who are unheralded beauty experts!

I have always had somewhat dodgy skin, never awful, but I do suffer from eczema and also the very common oily tendency and spots, so you'd think I would've given my skin a little more care a little earlier on, but better late than never!  After a process of trial and error, which is by no means concluded, I have a skincare routine which I am really happy with.  And it turns out all those beauty journalists in the back pages of Vogue were on to something!


Cleanse: My absolute favourite cleanser is the Malin + Goetz Grapefruit Cleanser.  It smells delicious, is suitable for sensitive skin, foams up beautifully, meaning you only need to use a tiny amount and removes all traces of make-up.  However, this is somewhat pricy, so I mostly use No7's Melting Gel Cleanser which is more modestly priced and does a decent job, but doesn't smell half as nice.




Tone: This one took me a lot longer to get on board with, as I couldn't understand the role of the toner in the routine.  However, having used this L'Occitane Eau Essential for a few months now, I really feel the difference.  I'd recommend this one as it is very gentle on the skin.




Moisturise: This is the one I've had most difficulty with.  As I have dry, sensitive skin that is prone to flaking but also gets oily and greasy, I've found it really hard to find a product that moisturises my skin properly without leaving it hugely greasy.  That was until a friend recommended Aveeno, which is specially for sensitive, dry skin.  This stuff is brilliant!  It is one of the most reasonably priced products out there and really does work!  My skin feels moisturised but not clogged up.
I have also recently started using Mac's Complete Comfort Creme.  This was sold to me by the lovely lady on the Mac counter who demonstrated it's amazing way of getting rid of dry, flaky skin.  It was like magic; I was sold.  It is a lovely rich creme and a tiny amount assures a really even finish for then applying make up.



What are your beauty routines? Do any of you have products you would swear by?

A x

No comments:

Post a Comment