Wednesday, 10 April 2013

From Liverpool: A word on Margaret Thatcher


I was sat, eating my Lunch, when I heard the words Margaret Thatcher has died carried across the airwaves. I had been mostly ignoring the news up until that point, but then it had my full attention. I called my flatmate into the room to tell her. "Oh, wow...we’d better not show any sympathy here" was her response to the news. Her reasoning being that we live in Liverpool and well, Liverpool and Thatcher don't get on very well.



Now you may or may not know about Margaret Thatcher's time as Prime Minister, about her stern ambitions, ruthless ruling hand and fierce policies. Your family may have been affected badly or they may have thrived. You may or may not know why Liverpool has such issues and resentment towards her. If you're not so sure I suggest you do some reading up on the time, it's worth seeing what Liverpool as a city has come through to become the great city it is now. 

The thing is, that's not really what I'm here to say. I wouldn't usually put a politically driven post on this blog but I feel it would be blind of me to not comment, especially as I sit as an outsider in the heart of an anti-Thatcher community. After I heard the news I immediately took to Twitter and Facebook to find out more, but I was at once shocked and appalled by people’s response. People were Tweeting about "popping the champagne". I really couldn't believe it. Me and my Favourite even got dragged into an immature Twitter feud with two of his friends as he expressed his dislike of their distasteful tweets and they responded with fire, ceasing their friendships in the process. 

Here Russel Brand eloquently says what's on my mind:

"I thought I'd be overjoyed, but really it's just … another one bites the dust …" This demonstrates, I suppose, that if you opposed Thatcher's ideas it was likely because of their lack of compassion, which is really just a word for love. If love is something you cherish, it is hard to glean much joy from death, even in ones enemies."


I am not condoning her policies, I am not denying her harsh and even cruel treatment of Liverpool. I am by no means showing support for her leadership of the country. But I am actively saying I am disgusted by anyone who celebrates a woman's, a mother’s death. And Liverpool, look at where you are now; you are a thriving, beautiful, cultural city that is setting a pioneering lead in the creative industries. You are better than this. 

Some may argue that she was cruel, that she was heartless and that she had no compassion. But, do two wrongs make a right? Are you then prepared to be equally as cruel, heartless and show so little compassion in return? 

Most news agencies have reported her legacy as being that of "dividing political opinion" but I think we need to go further, her legacy to me will always be of dividing people.

R x

1 comment:

  1. I completely agree with what you've said. It'd be wiser not to express any political opinion so I'll just say that celebrating someone's death really doesn't make us look too good either!

    Hayfa
    http://chic-and-cliche.blogspot.com/
    http://twitter.com/HayfaMk

    ReplyDelete