Tuesday, 25 June 2013

And I Didn't Even Shed a Tear



It's been my birthday this week, and that's brought the usual gamut of emotions (increasingly self-pity) that these things tend to bring.  Looking back now, it's dawning on me that this was one of the better birthdays and that I am an extraordinarily blessed girl. 

Birthday come and gone, I didn't get thousands of well-wishing posts on my Facebook wall, I didn't receive ostentatious or vulgar gifts, have a huge party, or sip champagne in a VIP London hotspot.  And though I might for a split-second think that some of these things would be nice, any of you who know me well would know that these things would not only not do, they would make me physically shudder and maybe even run away and hide.

What did happen was this: my friends with two sets of twins under the age of three managed to leave the house to spend an evening eating pudding with me.  My two incomparable flatmates set aside the date in the diary without me even asking or really wanting them to and forced me to go out and celebrate, resulting in one of the most spontaneous, deliciously fun nights in a long while.  My sister and her boyfriend traveled hours to see me and spend time with me.  My parents, though they currently don't have a kitchen, hosted a wonderful birthday dinner for me without batting an eyelid.

Now, this may be the wine talking (thanks N, I'll buy you a new bottle), but all this makes me feel wonderfully grateful and like I might be being a tad ungrateful the other 364 days of the year.  There are hundreds of things everyday that I think that I want, and most are forgotten within the month, at most a year.  Rather than thinking about what I want, this birthday has reminded me of what I do have; some very faithful friends who've stuck with me through ups and downs, have seen me at my best and my worst, and still love me.  Right now, while I remember this, I feel like the richest girl in the world.  

So, like any good American sit-com, here's the moral at the end of the story.  Having one person, be it friend, Mother, Brother, whoever... who loves you, and loves you unconditionally, outweighs any bad day.  They can pull you through terrible tragedy and they will celebrate great triumphs with you.  Those people, whether they be near or far; hold onto them.  They are worth their weight in gold, and far more.

And if you ever, ever hear me complaining, give me a friendly nudge and remind me of this blog post.


A x

No comments:

Post a Comment