Wednesday, 12 June 2013

It's in the Bag

As if we're not doing enough sewing these days, what with launching the debut R~A~J~E collection, and now processing orders, I decided to get busy(er) with a bit of home-making!  

My sister and I were raised by a mother who is both creative and skilled, and throughout our childhood made us clothes, re-covered furniture, and made curtains, amongst other things.  She also, partly through necessity and partly creativity, taught us to not be wasteful, to re-use things and re-fashion clothes and fabrics.  However, I had become a tad apathetic of late, so I had to give myself a bit of a kick-start for this project.  I have to admit now, I've owned this bag of beans for at least a year and done absolutely nothing with it, but better late than never!

For those of you who are voracious recyclers/ crafters looking for your next project, or for those of you just discovering the make-do-and-mend approach, here's my step by step of how I made my beanbag.

Beanbag How To

For this you can use any reasonably thick cotton or similar fabric that you might have lying around.  You could recycle unwanted curtain fabric, old pairs of jeans, or collect a variety of fabrics and patchwork the together  I used the pieces from one of those interiors fabric swatch books that was being thrown away by a shop.  Nice bit of recycling and thrifty too!

Step One 
I roughly measured how many swatches I'd need to cover the beans by laying the swatches out and rolling the beans over them!
I then cut the fabric into triangle patches using a template made from a cardboard cereal box.



Step Two
I laid the triangles out in a tessellating pattern and again rolled the beans over to measure the approximate right size.  My rule was, it's probably best to make it a little too big than not big enough.



Step Three
Next, I stitched together the triangles in rows to create long oblong shapes.



Step Four
I finished both ends of each row of with a triangle half the size, to create an even edge.



Step Five
By sewing all the triangles together, you create a piece of patchwork fabric fit to cover a beanbag, or anything else for that matter, a cushion, a tablecloth, a duvet cover, the list is endless!



Step Six
After checking the piece of fabric fit around the beans, I sewed the short ends together to create a tube.



Step Seven
To make the ends of the cover, I cut two hexagonal pieces of fabric from the remaining pages of the swatch book.  I turned the tube inside out and sewed one end on, and half of the other end.  I then turned it the right way round, squeezed the beans in and hand stitched the gap shut.



Tadah!
The end result is a super thrifty, and completely unique beanbag!




What have you made for your latest projects?  Oh, and do comment below/ tweet us @RAJEdesign if you've any questions or even any tips to share!

A x

2 comments:

  1. I like that. Looks great :) Nice use of something no one wanted too.

    ReplyDelete