Friday, 7 June 2013

Sugar Free Apple and Cinnamon Flapjacks

The other night after me and my favourite had enjoyed a spelt pasta, spinach and tomato bake I had a hankering for something sweet. Normally fruit or a peppermint tea satisfies these cravings but this time my stomach was definitely calling for dessert! While in the past I would wander to Tesco and grab a bag of Twirl Bites or whip up some brownies or chocolate mousse, I now try and eat cleanly and this month have given up sugar all together (minus a few natural sugar exceptions). So how was I going to satisfy this craving while still eating cleanly and avoiding sugar? By making up a sugar free flapjack recipe of course!

I started by melting some butter, between 75-100g. I then added this, along with some cinnamon, to some rolled oats, around 5/6 handfuls. 





I then roughly chopped some apples and added them to the pan I melted the butter in. I lightly cooked these along with a generous sprinkle of cinnamon powder. While the apples were softening I added a spoonful of Manuka honey to the oats and butter and made sure it was all well incorporated. 




Once the apples were soft (After 10-15 mins of cooking) I added them into the oats, stirred to combine and then tipped the whole mixture into a pan. I then baked this for 20-25 mins at 200 oC. 



The result was, not to boast or anything, delicious! Considering it was a very slapdash recipe these flapjacks were a complete success! 


While they're not something to eat every day they are actually pretty wholesome. Oats are a great carb to eat, Manuka honey is one of the best sweet things you can eat and cinnamon reduces cholesterol AND regulates blood sugar levels. If you wanted to make them lower in fat then by all means substitute the butter for a low fat option, but personally I think organic natural butter does us a whole lot of good in small quantities, where as margarine is so far from a natural state it has no benefits. 



I plan on baking these again next week and adding some linseed's into the mixture for added goodness and texture!

If anyone has any other healthy bake recipes please do share!

R x

1 comment: