Thursday, 22 August 2013

Things To Do This Bank Holiday Weekend

As Blur sang "Bank Holiday comes six times a year, days of enjoyment to which everyone cheers" and here it is, peering at us from the end of the week, the last Bank Holiday of 2013.  You may have your weekend meticulously planned, down to the last detail, and if you have, I take my hat off to you.  However, if you're a little more on the disorganised side, worry not, we have some suggestions of how to make the most of those precious three days off work.

Carnival.  Need I say more?

If you are in London, or anywhere near this good city, the first thing on your to do list this weekend should be Notting Hill Carnival.   World famous, and with good reason, Carnival holds a special place in a whole host of Londoner's hearts and calendars.  Taking place over two days, Sunday is the family friendly day, whilst Monday is a tad more rowdy.  Whichever day you choose, go with friends, comfy shoes, a bottle of rum and ready to dance.


Notting Hill Carnival

Party Time

As you may have gathered from our incessant tweets and blog post about it, we are kicking off this weekend on Friday night with the inaugural Loose Moves Party.  With an exciting line of of DJ's, live art, flashmobs, and more, it's sure to be an excellent night, so grab a ticket and join us!


Party and FlashMob

Culture Vulture

If you're in the mood to soak up some culture, then I would thoroughly recommend heading over to the Tate Britain and mooching your way around the Gary Hume and Patrick Caulfield exhibitions.  The lovely people at Tate are offering these two stunning exhibitions for the price of one, so get there while you can - exhibitions close on 1st September. 

Cafe Interior: Afternoon. 1973


The Cradle: 2011


This Green and Pleasant Land

Yes, I know, there is life outside of London, but I don't know much about it.  If you are lucky enough to live in the lovely countryside, I'd recommend going for a long walk, or having a continental style picnic - you know, baguette, brie, bottle of wine and Bob's ton oncle!

Screen Time

If none of that's tickled your fancy so far, there is a fair offering in the cinemas right now.  Personally, the next free night I get, I'm grabbing my flatmate to go and see Alan Partridge: Alpha Papa, of which I haven't heard a bad review.  There's also a handful of not bad looking actions films out, Matt Damon and Jodie Foster in Elysium; Mark Wahlberg and Denzel Washington in 2 Guns; or the action comedy sequel Kick-Ass 2.  Take your pick.



Lost in a Good Book

One of my favourite activities of a long weekend is grabbing a cup of coffee, making myself comfortable; be that in an indie coffee shop; on a picnic blanket in the sun; or on my bed, and losing myself in a good book.  I'm currently enjoying, and occasionally giggling out loud to, Tony Hawks' One Hit Wonderland.  Other favourites of late have been Jasper Ffordes' Shades of Grey (not the EL James title of a similar name, I hasten to add), and re-reading The Hobbit by JRR Tolkein.  This not only conjured up treasured memories of hiding under the bedcovers with a torch reading long past my bedtime, but also whisked me away again to an adventure as vivid and exciting as it was the first time around.  Read the book.  Then see the film (my sources tell me it's just appeared on Netflix, if you're interested).

Vintage Book Jacket


So, whatever you plan to do this weekend, as it's the last remaining Bank Holiday of the year, do make the most of it.  Apparently the weather will be good, so even if all you do is leave the flat for a stroll to your local coffee establishment, I think we can say it's a weekend well spent. 

Happy Bank Holidays everyone!


A x

No comments:

Post a Comment