Friday, 20 September 2013

How Not to Pack for Holiday

Last week I was blessed with a long overdue holiday.  Along with my wonderful family, I spent a week in Pembrokshire relaxing and recuperating.  I had planned to do a 'What to Pack for Holiday' blog post, but thanks to my infamously last minute packing style, that didn't happen.  What we have here is, hopefully, much more real, and maybe even more useful!  So, how not to pack for holiday...



Don't forget the British weather...
Having been lulled into a false sense of security by the recent weeks of sunshine, I was confident that the week in West Wales would be all blazing sunshine and blue skies.  It was not.  It was West Wales.  Yes, it rained.  Every.  Day.
I packed: 5 crop tops, 2 pairs of sunglasses, two sun hats and sun cream. 
I should've packed: jumpers, slippers, a beanie hat and a coat. 



Don't be a city slicker...
Ask anyone that knows me and they'll tell you right, I am not a country girl.  I have only ever lived in cities, and with good reason!  They are paved, littered with coffee shops, and have wifi. Spending a week in a town that may well be less populated than my London postcode...
I packed: 3 smart cotton shirts (which were very crumpled after a week in a suitcase), my lovely suede trainers, an umbrella (have I not heard of wind?), my new pale blue Topshop Boutique jeans, an Urban Outfitters rucksack.
I should've packed: t-shirts, walking boots or old trainers (suede is not so hot in the rain!), an actual waterproof coat, jeans - the normal kind, not the lovely pale kind that gets covered in mud, an actual backpack not a fashion accessory.

Don't fill the suitcase...
Everyone knows you'll want to buy knick-knacks on holiday, you know, the genuine Welsh fudge, tatty key-rings adorned with dragons, etc.  However, if you're anything like me you'll take a holiday as a well-deserved shopping opportunity.  Not known as a fashion mecca, the delightful town of Cardigan provided me, my sister and Mum with a veritable treasure trove of charity shop goodies.  We were like kids in a sweet shop.  
What I did: packed my suitcase to overflowing, worrying I'd forgotten something, or that I'd not packed enough crop tops.
What I should've done: left enough room for shopping and gifts so that the journey home wasn't quite so difficult!


Having said all that, I did do some things right...


Do pack a good book, or three...
Sitting back with a coffee/ beer/ gin and tonic in one hand and a good book in the other is one of life's greatest pleasures.  A week's holiday is the perfect opportunity to invest as much time as you possibly can in this leisurely pursuit.  Suitcase space is never wasted on books, especially if the weather is disappointing. 

Do be a beauty diva...
I've tried packing light on beauty and make-up items before, innocently thinking; 'I'm on holiday, of course I won't need a full face of make-up!'  Wrong.  I always need a full face of make-up.  And you never want to be caught short miles from the nearest Mac shop. 


Do carry on running...
This ones optional, actually.  My sister and I took our running kit with vague plans of running a lot.  On this particular holiday, lots of rain and lots of lie-ins meant we only went for one run, but it was worth it.  If you like your exercise, there is no reason to stop for holiday.  Even if it's only one run.

Having said all of that, the most important thing I learned this holiday was to, as much as is possible, get relaxed before you go.  A week of holiday is a precious week indeed, and you want to spend every minute enjoying it, not worrying about real life.

A x

No comments:

Post a Comment