Thursday, 31 October 2013

A Word On Love



Love is a friendship set to music. Joseph Campbell

___
I love you without knowing how, or when, or from where. I love you simply, without problems or pride: I love you in this way because I do not know any other way of loving but this, in which there is no I or you, so intimate that your hand upon my chest is my hand, so intimate that when I fall asleep your eyes close. Pablo Neruda
___
You know you’re in love when you don’t want to fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams. Dr. Seuss
___
Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonour others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails. 1 Corinthians 13:4-13
___
Without a thought two hands collide, and the world finally makes sense again. Kayla Dawn
___
Love is an act of endless forgiveness, a tender look that becomes habit. Peter Ustinov
___
We loved with a love that was more than love. Edgar Allan Poe

___


So you may wonder why I have a combined a photo of my Favourite with a series of heart warming quotes about love? Well, because, of late, I find have a word or two to say on the matter of love. And those words are simply this; that love is everything and more that the quotes describe. It's all consuming, euphoric, joy inducing, heart melting, hand warming, life affirming and the greatest adventure a person can ever take. But beyond all of that, beyond the "types", the rules and the dates; Love is ultimately a decision. 


Love isn't simply the feeling and the words. Saying "I love you" is just the start. The start of a daily practice of choosing that person. The daily practice of placing them before yourself. The daily practice of standing by them. The daily practice of placing yourself in their hands. Love is a daily decision. 


I am lucky enough to make this decision, I am lucky enough to have met the man who embodies all of my romantic dreams and makes me feel like the Jane Austen heroine I always dreamed I would be. But more than that, I am lucky enough to have been brought up knowing true and unconditional love from my family, and now, with any luck, I can now spend the rest of my life building that for myself. 

I'll end with my favourite quote on love, it may not be the most romantic, or the grandest. But it certainly talks sense...

Love does not consist in gazing at each other but in looking outward together in the same direction. Antoine de Saint-Exupery

R x

No comments:

Post a Comment