Monday, 17 March 2014

My Fashion Life In Film

A takes us right back to childhood and looks at how films are responsible (and sometimes to blame) for her style decisions. 

There are myriad factors that have influenced my style over the years, from well-dressed friends to music and magazines, but one thing has consistently inspired my sartorial choices year in year out.  From the classics I grew up with to those I'm still discovering, films are packed full of fashion inspiration that I revel in plundering.  Something about the way films capture your imagination, and sweep you away in the story filters right through to my shopping and wardrobe choices. 

Little Rock Chick
Growing up in the 80's and 90's I modelled myself on my music icons; Chrissie Hynde specifically.  I rocked around in Dr Marten's or Converse, ripped jeans, baggy t-shirts, and a baseball cap pulled on over my long dark hair, so most closely resembled a miniature Wayne Campbell from Wayne's World.  


Preppy 
Thankfully the 90's provided fashion influences outside the world of grunge and post punk bands.  Cher Horowitz, the preppy princess of Clueless was a huge inspiration, and upon my first trip to Tammy Girl, I bought a red plaid, pleated mini skirt and a white button down shirt, though I still wore them with my Dr Marten's.  

This preppy style lived and evolved with me right through to my uni days, where on my smart days I could be found in skirts paired with shirts, tank tops and neat little jackets.  I even shared Dionne's penchant for hats.  Thinking about it, I even wore headbands with my long straight hair and carried around a satchel bag most days. 
 
CluelessClueless


Reliving my Youth
Don't ask me why, but I didn't discover the brat pack until my twenties, and now I'm making up for lost time.  Being a kid in the 80's, I didn't get to explore the fashions fully, so now I am indulging in nostalgia, and the surprisingly flattering cuts of the 80's to early 90's.  John Hughes' classic Pretty in Pink is now responsible for inspiring many of my outfits, from Molly Ringwald's gorgeous approach to layering, Duckie's wonderful retro stylings, and the to-die-for loose tailoring as worn by Andrew McCarthy.  

Discovering my Fashion Self
Sex and the City is often cited as a fashion inspiration, and deservedly so.  So important in the story of the film (and TV series) is fashion, it almost takes the place of a fifth main character.  Styled by the amazing Patricia Field, there is plenty of fashion wisdom to be borrowed from the outfits of all the characters, but it is Carrie who's influenced my style the most.  

Always having been one for playing with fashion and not being afraid to get things wrong (as I often have, and still do!), recently I'd started to worry that I should grow up a bit and dress more sensibly.  Carrie's wardrobe somehow empowered me to stick to my guns and carry on experimenting with styles.  The clever styling of the outfits also taught me how to make even grungy, street-wear, even sportswear ensembles glamorous and grown-up. 



A x

No comments:

Post a Comment