Tuesday, 9 September 2014

What We Wore: A Tones Down and Glams Up

A finds her own personal style 

Recently when it comes to a night I find myself at a bit of a loss. Not in the habit as in my uni days of shopping for "going out" clothes, it seems I have lapsed into shopping for only work clothes and the occasional trainer or t-shirt to caszh (sp?!) things down over the weekend. So getting ready for a fancy night out for cocktails with the R~A~J~E girls posed something of a wardrobe challenge.





Thankfully the most painful years of discovering my style are behind me and I have come to learn that some things just work. Bodycon, high-waisted midi skirts work. Shirts work.  Animal print works. Gold works. As do cream, brown, and a good bit of texture-clashing. Sure, I wear other stuff, and sure, I don't always get it right, but when I need to feel good and look good, these are my go-to ingredients.





It wasn't a smooth road to being comfortable with my own style. Like many girls, becoming a woman was a bit of a slow realisation for me, and it wasn't easy to come to terms with my womanly shape. It took a while for me to reconcile myself to the fact that I'd never be a waif (à la Kate), but one emphatic, positive comment from a friend when I wore my first LBD started me on a journey toward understanding and loving my shape.

I like to think it's part Sophia Loren, part Jennifer Lopez - but mostly, it's me.





A wears // shirt: BS8 // skirt: Topshop // bag: vintage // shoes: Office

Have you discovered your signature style?  What outfits do you find yourself returning to again and again?

A x

No comments:

Post a Comment