Monday, 6 October 2014

Brand Profile: Dr. Martens


R profiles heritage brand Dr. Martens






Something R~A~J~E loves to do is support and encourage other fashion brands we admire, while Dr. Martens certainly doesn't need a leg up from our lowly selves it never hurts to compliment those you love. And my-oh-my, do we love Dr. Martens.  

"The history of subculture is a chronicle of being different. Back in the 1950s, when the first generation of teenagers fired up a youth revolution, their goal was to look and behave differently to their parents. Previously, young people had been stylistic carbon copies of their elders. But with the advent of first-generation rock 'n' roll and also Teddy Boys, a generational schism cracked open that would never again be rendered shut...

...When the first pair of Dr. Martens boots rolled off the production line on that day, it was on to a British high street where youth tribes were still a rarity. Not for long: the next four decades saw the time-bomb of subculture explode across the globe as a series of tribes sprang up from their respective undergrounds, each new incarnation heralding a burning desire to be different to what had gone before."

I fell in love with Dr Martens because my mum and dad, being ridiculously cool, have always worn them and bought us them as children - they are now my go-to shoe come autumn winter. 

I love that they're steeped in rebellion, I love that they're big, ugly and heavy and most of all I love that they are such incredibly good quality, they'll probably last longer than I will. The above images are from their S/S13 look book shot by Gavin Watson, one of my favourite Dr. Martens campaigns as it captures the electric energy of youth.

Dr. Martens are meant to look big and bad, please don't buy a "girly" version of a classic DM! Be confident enough to wear an ugly shoe, life's too short to have to reinforce your femininity with every step.

Dr. Martens Fact File 

- Founded in 1960
- Consistently associated with youth culture
- Inventors of 'Air Cushioned Sole'
- Champions of British Manufacture 
- 100 millions pairs sold 1960-2010

On my Dr. Martens shopping list are the styles below. With enough oxblood to look faintly on trend and enough stomp power to satisfy my rebellious side, I can't wait to slip my feet into the new collection.


R x

No comments:

Post a Comment