Thursday, 21 April 2016

Life: The Marie Kondo Method

R cleaned up her act.

I'm late to the party on this I know but two weeks ago I read 'The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up' by Marie Kondo and, it's changed my life. 

"Marie “KonMari” Kondo runs an acclaimed consulting business in Tokyo helping clients transform their cluttered homes into spaces of serenity and inspiration. With a three-month waiting list, her KonMari Method of decluttering and organizing has become an international phenomenon."


It's a huge, vomit-inducing, cynic-infuriating cliche but seriously, that woman is my new hero. 

Fair warning, you will have to ignore a *LOT* of mystifying Japanese spirituality when reading her book. I suggest you apply the KonMari method to it directly, it's neither useful nor beautiful so simply discard. What that then leaves is a book full of simple, sensible advice to improve your quality of life. 

Yes, tidying really can improve the quality of your life. 

If you follow Marie's advice and become a KonMari practitioner then your house will be filled with only things your find to be useful or beautiful (excluding ugly necessities like smoke alarms, marriage certificates etc). 

As you follow the suggested order of clearing and start with your clothes you'll find yourself seeing everything you own in a new light. All the reasons you previously kept things for like 'it was a present', 'it was expensive' or 'I'll fit into it one day' all suddenly seem laughable as they're exposed by Marie's down to earth logic of if it doesn't spark joy, then throw it away.

It's as simple as that. Does it spark joy? No. Recycle it - now. 

Following this theory I have thrown away over 30 bin bags of "stuff" so far. 20 of which were just from my wardrobe. And I'm nowhere near finished yet. 

The thing is, what's the worst that can happen? I throw away something and then regret it. Well, that hasn't happened yet and also, if it does, I'll buy another one. It's not like I'm chucking Hermes bags or Faberge eggs. Everything you throw will be replaceable.

What you're left with is an incredibly ordered wardrobe, crease-free clothes (thanks to Marie's genius folding tips), drawers and cupboards that close properly and an overwhelming sense of "hell yeah" every time you walk through the door.

It.Really.Makes.A.Difference. 

You really have to try it to believe it, but I feel calmer at home, I'm relaxing easier and I'm spending noticeably less time deciding what to wear/ ironing clothes/ finding general stuff. 

Marie explains how her clients have gone on to change careers, loose weight, find love etc as a direct result of clearing out their house with her and I can easily believe it. 

A messy, cluttered house can only mess and clutter your head and heart. 

Now I'm the one spouting dodgy spirituality. 

R x

Further reading:
Stuffocation - the book that sparked the reading of Marie Kondo which sparked the best clean up of my life. 


No comments:

Post a Comment